None of us are perfect, but in the blog world, the little quirks and odd bits about us rarely become known. It’s all rainbows and sunshine, but in reality, we all have confessions. These are mine.
- I listen to Dubstep when I lift because it makes me feel like a machine. I honestly think that my lifts are 100% better when I have some dubstep beats coming through my headphones… and yes, I know how ridiculous it is that I just said that. I’ll provide a playlist one of these days… maybe I’ll convert some of you to the musical land of the machines.
- When I was doing chin ups every day last summer, I was able to do sets of 8. Now I can only consistently do sets of 5… 6 on a good day. Oh the shame. My bench has gone up though, so at least I know I’m not getting weaker. Just goes to show — if you want to be good at something, you must do it, and do it a lot!
- I haven’t been riding my bike to stadiums the past few weeks. I used to pride myself on being “weatherproof” with the rest of the November Project group, but then one day I drove. It made me feel lazy, but considering I got a mild case of frostbite the week before from riding my bike to/from in 25 degree temps, I’ll say it’s excusable. And I’m not going to lie, my legs feel mighty fresh after driving to the stadium rather than riding six miles there at the crack of dawn.
- No matter how “cleanly” I eat, no matter how many processed foods I cut out, two things will always be ridiculously delicious to me: Goldfish Crackers and Cheez-Its. I just can’t help it. They’re like crack. Cheesy crack. I don’t buy them often because I know it’s not stuff I want to put in my body on a regular basis, but when I do get them.. watch out!
- I’m chronically dehydrated. I can promote adequate water consumption up the wazoo, but when it comes to actually doing it myself, I’m a total failure. I have good intentions, I just forget. Let me tell you — it doesn’t help with hunger, that’s for sure. I will drink one to two glasses in the morning, and I’ll drink during my workout, but then I tend to forget about for the rest of the day. It’s not until the end of the day when I have a pounding headache do I remember that yes, it really has been six hours since my last drop of water.
- At this point in time, I’m benching more than I’m back squatting. How sad is that? No, I haven’t turned into a total gym bro, I’ve just really lost a lot on my squat after my two ankle injuries over the past year, and it’s been much slower to come back than I would like to admit. Add that to the fact that most of my lower body days have been far more focused on deadlifting and barbell thrusting, and well, my squat is pathetic. I used to be able to squat 165 lb. Last week, I was able to rep at 115, but it wasn’t pretty. I’m starting to feel like I’ll never get my squat back to where it used to be, even though I know that’s just crazy talk.
- I take Fish Oil supplements… except the last time I think I actually remembered to take one was months ago. Oopsie. So actually I just lied to you. I took fish oil supplements. Maybe I’ll remember to start taking them again one of these days.
- I’m not totally done Christmas shopping, and I’ve wrapped exactly one present. I’m not usually a last minute shopper, but with Christmas now officially 5 days away, I suppose I’ve fallen into that category. Whoops again!
That’s it for me today! What’s one thing you want to confess on this pre-Christmas weekend? Is there one junk food out there that you just love no matter what? What type of music do you listen to when you work out?